Ionic Pro Deploy (cordova-plugin-ionic) version 5 has been released! This major update introduces the following features to Ionic Pro Live Deploy.
- Differential Updates - Deploy will deliver only assets that have changed, increasing speed significantly.
- CDN - Snapshots will now be hosted on a CDN improving accessibility, redundancy, and speed.
- Improved API - Manage updates, cached snapshots, and redirects manually using the new API.
- Improved Configuration Options - New option for checking snapshots when the app is running in the background.
Remember that plugin changes aren't binary compatible so you'll need to run new native builds if you change the version or configuration of your plugins.
You can restrict future snapshots to the appropriate native version by setting up native versioning.
iOS Note: In order to allow for new features, live deploys on iOS 10.2 and lower are no longer supported. Devices running iOS 10.2 will operate normally but will be restricted to the currently installed native version. The total distribution of iOS devices running iOS 10.2 or lower is approximately 7.3%.
Android Note: The latest version of cordova-plugin-ionic-webview (2.X) requires Android 5.0 or higher.
I'm starting a new project:
Review the updated setup docs.
I want to upgrade to the latest version:
Review the upgrade docs.
- Upgrading to the New Deploy Plugin
- Note: There have been some updates to the Deploy-related plugins since v5 launched. If you are going the upgrade route or starting with a new app, ensure that you're using the latest versions.
I want the new features but need to stick with the legacy API:
Review the legacy plugin docs. This version includes the new features with support for both the legacy and new APIs. This will allow you time to refactor your deploy setup to make use of the updated API.
- Using the Legacy Plugin
- Note: This version of Deploy (4.2.0) is only recommend if you require use of the legacy Deploy API. Otherwise, it is highly recommended to use Deploy v5 or stick with 4.1.7 (below).
I don't want to upgrade, or I require support for iOS <= 10.2 / Android <= 5.0:
The maximum supported versions for the full legacy implementation of deploy with support for iOS 10.2 and lower are shown below. If you'd like to stick with the earlier implementation we recommend these versions.
- cordova-plugin-ionic v4.1.7
- cordova-plugin-ionic-webview v1.1.19
- @ionic/pro v1.0.20
See our article on managing dependencies for more details on setting an explicit version.
Here's an example of the commands necessary to force the correct version.
cordova plugin rm cordova-plugin-ionic-webview
cordova plugin add email@example.com --save-exact
cordova plugin rm cordova-plugin-ionic
cordova plugin add firstname.lastname@example.org --save-exact --variable APP_ID=YOUR_APP_ID --variable CHANNEL_NAME=YOUR_CHANNEL_NAME
npm install @email@example.com --save-exact