Ionic Pro Live Deploy (cordova-plugin-ionic) version 5 is close to release. In conjunction with improvements to cordova-plugin-ionic-webview this major update will introduce the following features to Ionic Pro Live Deploy.
- Differential Updates - Deploy will deliver only assets that have changed, increasing speed significantly.
- CDN - Snapshots will now be hosted on a CDN improving accessibility, redundancy, and speed.
- Improved API - Manage updates, cached snapshots, and redirects manually using the new API.
- Improved Configuration Options -New option for checking snapshots when the app is running in the background.
There will be a final backwards compatible release of cordova-plugin-ionic v4. The final release will include both the old and new versions of the Deploy API and support for the new features. The v5 release will use the new API exclusively.
NOTE: In order to allow for the new features, live deploys on iOS 10.2 and lower are no longer supported. Devices running iOS 10.2 will operate normally but will be restricted to the currently installed native version. The total distribution of iOS devices running iOS 10.2 or lower is approximately 7.3%. If you require live deploy on iOS 10.2 or lower you should stay on the legacy deploy implementation.
I want to upgrade:
Review the updated docs at https://ionicframework.com/docs/pro/deploy/api/
The updated docs currently include details on using the latest release candidate. When v5 is released the docs will be updated to reflect the latest versions. You will have two options for upgrading.
- cordova-plugin-ionic v4.2.0 (includes old and new API)
- cordova-plugin-ionic v5.0.0
If you're not currently using the Deploy API we recommend updating to the full v5 release. Don't forget that plugin changes aren't binary compatible so you'll need to run new native builds when you make the upgrade.
I don't want to upgrade:
If you are happy with your current implementation, or aren't ready to tackle migration you can explicitly set the version spec for the following modules to preserve your current setup.
The maximum supported versions for the legacy implementation of deploy are shown below. If you'd like to stick with the earlier implementation we recommend these versions.
- cordova-plugin-ionic v4.1.7
- cordova-plugin-ionic-webview v1.1.19
- @ionic/pro v1.0.20
See our article on managing dependencies for more details on setting an explicit version.
Remember that plugin changes aren't binary compatible so you'll need to run new native builds if you change the version or configuration of any plugins.